The Hyde Museum, Glens Falls, NY

The Hyde Museum, Glens Falls, NY

Construction Cost
20,000 sf

Special Distinctions
Historic Registry

Start Date
September 2002

Completion Date
November 2003

Built in 1912 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Hyde House is home to a substantial collection of Master paintings and antique furnishings, all part of the famous Hyde Collection Art Museum. Decades of exposure to the northeastern climate caused failure of the building’s stucco facade. MLB successfully managed the complete removal and restoration of the original finish of the house using special lime -based stucco. Much of the wood trim and decorative architectural treatments were either refinished or recreated as well. This portion of the project was preceded by the addition of 20,000 square feet to the Museum’s Education Center to provide secure, atmospherically controlled space for receipt and shipment of exhibits and other special needs. The expansion required relocation of mechanical systems and careful coordination to maintain security and fire protection systems. All work was accomplished with the Museum in full operation.